Thursday, October 13, 2011

Portfolio Building

So I'm dipping my toe into the world of professional photography.

A month ago, my friend had her baby shower for her baby boy, due the beginning of November. I got the idea on the way home from the shower to see if she would let me take some newborn photos for free. I could give her the digital copies if she would let me use them in a portfolio if they turned out okay. I had joined clickinmoms.com and was picking up a lot of great information. I just needed someone to practice it on.

I started picking up things here and there for props and reading more and more online, trying to get myself prepared. I figured 6 weeks would be plenty of time to get an idea of what I wanted to do. Although we all know that most of my studying was always done in the day before the test.

Imagine my surprise when I find out she had her baby 4 weeks early! Off I ran to IKEA to get some blankets, a bean bag, get my camera battery charged and more SD cards. I went to her house two days ago to take pictures of her sweet baby boy, Alex, age 5 days. Mama cranked the heat up to 78, I lugged my stuff in and after a few mishaps like a car accident turning I-5 into a parking lot that got me there about 30 minutes late and wrinkled blankets (thank goodness for a clothes steamer), we got started. I took about 500 pictures and didn't get through all that wanted. We got a lot though and I am learning.

I am still working on the editing. It is tough! It was my first experience so I'm noticed all kinds of things. Face sunk in the blanket, hand tucked under when I wanted to see those tiny fingers, underexposure. But there are some good ones too. I am wishing that I had known how to take these kind of shots for my own kids.

I'm really happy with how they are turning out so far. I hope Alex's Mama and Dad will be too.

Photobucket

remember this quilt? i think he digs it.

Photobucket

i love how he's nestled in there with his little legs crossed.

Photobucket

look at that perfect little face. so sweet.

Anyway, its been a great learning experience from taking the photos through the editing process. I'm figuring out a lot of new Photoshop knowledge too. I can't recommend clickinmoms.com enough. Such a great forum for learning about all aspects of photography.

We're still plugging away on our October goals list. More on that to come. And more pictures of Alex too.

tara
xo



3 comments: